Thursday, January 14, 2021

The Story of my Life ; Helen Keller




Title: The Story of my Life 

Author: Helen Keller 

Reviewed by: Bhavana 


Magnificent, fantastic, commendable, phenomenal, and I can go on raving about Helen Keller's Autobiography. She lived in a world of silence and darkness, but her writing is so beautiful, enchanting and poetic, that I could see colours fly out of them. 

The experiences recorded in the book are only up to when she was 21 years of age. For a person born in the year 1880, she got her Autobiography published in the year 1903. With much reverence she has dedicated the book to Sir Abraham Graham Bell. Keller details her early years and her life-changing training under Anne Sullivan. Her teacher's untiring patience made all the difference in her life.

One will find detailed account of her childhood, her friends, her home and most of all her days as a student. The trouble her teacher took to teach her with patience and love has been well described. The first word she learnt... The first abstract word she learnt... it was a delight to know about them A detailed account on her perusal of her education got me bored. She was even trained into speaking vocally. Just because a person is deaf, doesn't mean that he is dumb as well. Can you believe it, Helen Keller was multi lingual? She had learnt five different  languages.

I was delighted to learn that Helen Keller enjoyed reading books ever since she was very young. She has managed to mention the names of some of the books she read while she was little. Beautifully she has described how she felt emotionally when she read Shakespeare's work and some others. 

I was baffled to learn that Helen Keller loved poetry. I wonder how she managed to understand what poetry was in the first place. The readers will get to read a few lines of poetry by her in her Autobiography. She has let the readers know of the writers whose work she admired. 

I was surprised to learn that Helen Keller loved out door sports and it isn't just reading that she enjoyed. I was astounded when I read the kind of sports she enjoyed. She has managed to let us know about her experience in detail. A brave heart she was during her time. 

Helen Keller was a person who was visual and hearing impaired. In spite of her set backs she managed to succeed in all her perusals by the time she was 21 years of age. One will notice the urgency, excitement and enthusiasm in which the young heart has beautifully worded her experiences in the book. I found the book very inspiring.

I try to make the light in others' eyes my sun, the music in others' ears my symphony, the smile on others' lips my happiness. ~Helen Keller 

Rating: 4.5 on 5

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Killing Floor; Lee Child

  Title: Killing Floor  Author: Lee Child  Reviewed by: Bhavana  About the book: 'I FELT like somebody in a kid’s book who falls down a ...